UNTHSC Logo UNT Health Science Center Catalog 2010 - 2011

Course and Grading System

Course Numbering

The course numbering system consists of a four-letter discipline abbreviation followed by a four-digit number. The first digit identifies the course level. The second digit generally identifies the semester credit hour value of the course. The last two digits are the distinguishing numbers of the course within the discipline.

  • 5000 - master's level courses
  • 6000 - doctoral level courses
  • 7000 - medical didactic courses
  • 8000 - medical clerkship core courses
  • 9000 - medical clerkship elective courses

Grading System

All academic grades will appear on the student's official UNTHSC transcript as follows:

  • A          4 grade points for each semester credit hour
  • B          3 grade points for each semester credit hour
  • C          2 grade points for each semester credit hour
  • F          0 grade points for each semester credit hour
  • WF      Withdraw Failing;  0 grade points   

Designations and other symbols that do not earn grade points and are not used for the calculation of grade point averages are as follows:

  • P/NP    Pass/No Pass
  • S/U      Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
  • W        Withdrawal
  • I           Incomplete
  • PR       In Progress
  • Z         Grade not recorded   

Calculation of Grade Point Average

Grades of A, B, C, F, and WF and associated semester credit hours will be used to calculate grade point averages. The GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of semester credit hours attempted. The number of semester hours attempted includes all courses with grades of A, B, C, F, and WF unless replaced by a later grade. Grades of I, NP, P, S, U, W, PR, or Z are not counted as courses attempted. All GPA calculations are subject to post audit and correction by the Registrar's Office.


Registration is coordinated by the Registrar's Office in cooperation with the school in which the student enrolls. Tuition and fees are due in full the last business day prior to the first day of class unless arrangements for installment payments have been completed. Students should review their school-specific academic calendar for more information about registration dates. All students are required to login to their EIS Student Portal (http://my.hsc.unt.edu) to review their course schedule, make payment, and review holds that may prevent registration. All students with a "hold" in their registration due to an outstanding financial obligation to UNTHSC or failure to meet an administrative obligation are denied registration until the "hold" has been removed. Students should review their school specific academic calendar for registration dates.

  1. TCOM - Students will be preregistered by the Registrar's Offce prior to the beginning of each academic term.
  2. GSBS - Students are required to register on-line. Information on how to register can be found on the Registrar's Office website.
  3. SPH - Students are required to register on-line. Information on how to register can be found on the Registrar's Office website.
  4. SHP - All PA and DPT students will be preregistered by the Registrar's Office prior to the beginning of each academic term.

Adding and Dropping Courses

"Adding" and "Dropping" refers to the established procedure by which students add or drop one or more courses prior to the census date, but remain enrolled for the term. Students adding or dropping may be subject to additional tuition and fees or may be eligible for a refund. Additional fee assessments are due and payable when the change is executed. If the student is on a valid installment plan, the installment plan charges are adjusted accordingly. When a student drops a course, the course will not appear on the student's permanent record. Students should review their school's academic calendar for specific dates related to adding and dropping courses.

Full-time Enrollment/Classification of Students

Students admitted to the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Public Health, or School of Health Professions are classified as graduate students.

A graduate student must be officially enrolled for a minimum of 9 semester credit hours in the fall or spring term or 6 semester credit hours in a summer term to be classified as full-time. A graduate student enrolled for less than 9 semester credit hours for the fall or spring or 6 semester credit hours for the summer is classified as part-time.

The maximum course load for a graduate student is 15 semester credit hours. Students registering for more than this maximum course load must have the consent of their advisor.

Enrollment Verification

Enrollment certification/verifications are completed by the Registrar's Office. Enrollment certifications can only be provided for a term after the census date.

Course Cancellations

The University reserves the right to cancel a scheduled course upon evidence of inadequate enrollment.

Course Duplications

Course duplication and grade replacement policies can be found in the program-specific sections of this catalog.

Probation and Suspension

Policies regarding probation and suspension can be found in the program-specific sections of this catalog.

Grade Changes

No grade except "I" can be removed from a student's record once properly recorded. Changes are not permitted after grades have been filed except to correct clerical errors.

Requests for error correction must be initiated within 30 days after the close of the semester for which the grade was recorded.  

An instructor who believes that an error has been made in calculating or recording a grade may submit a request for grade change to the discipline chair and the dean using a Request for Change of Grade/Removal of Incomplete form available from the Office of the Registrar.

Grade Reports

The electronic grade report and academic standing are available online at my.hsc.unt.edu at the close of each term. If the grade report or the academic standing is believed to be in error, the student should contact the Registrar's Office within 30 days following the first class of the subsequent term.

Incomplete Grades

If a student, because of extenuating circumstances, is unable to complete all of the requirements for a course by the end of the term, the instructor may assign an incomplete (I) for the course. The student must arrange with the instructor to finish the course at a later date by completing specified requirements. These requirements must be entered on the grade roster by the instructor.

Incomplete grades must be changed to a permanent grade before the end of the grading period for the next term, or the grade will be automatically changed to an F.

Leave of Absence

Students are required to complete the "Leave of Absence" form in the Registrar's Office. If the student is currently enrolled, a withdrawal form must accompany the request for leave of absence. Students should review their school's section within this catalog for more information about leaves of absence procedures.

Official Communications

E-mail is considered the primary means of communication for our campus; therefore, students are expected to read their e-mail messages regularly. All new students are assigned an e-mail account at orientation. Students who do not check their e-mail accounts regularly are at risk of missing vital information relative to their academic programs.

Although e-mail is the primary method of communicating information to students, mail may also be received at the campus mailing address. Any communication from a Health Science Center office should be considered important and given immediate attention. In addition, news, events and announcements of interest to students may be posted on the institution's website.

Open Records Policy

Pursuant to the provisions and intent of Article 6252-17a, Texas Civil Statutes, known as the Open Records Act, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended (known as the Buckley Amendment), the institution has established a policy relating to the accessibility of information in the custody of the Health Science Center. Student records that include general information concerning the student and the student's individual relationship to the educational institution are available upon request to personnel who have an educational interest in the records, the student, and the student's parent or legal guardian if the student is a dependent for income tax purposes of the parent or legal guardian. For information regarding the policy on access to records and to request accessibility to records, contact the designated Custodian of Public Records, Office of the Vice President and General Counsel, the Health Science Center.


Policies and regulations are explained or printed in the Student Policy Handbook or in the UNTHSC Policy Manual, available in Human Resource Services. All policies are subject to change throughout the year.

Student Grievances

Academic Issues

A student seeking to resolve any academic problem or complaint other than for misconduct as provided by the Student Code of Conduct and Discipline in the Student Handbook will first seek solution through the following administrative channels, entering at the appropriate level and proceeding in the order stated: course instructor, course director, graduate advisor, department chair, assistant dean. The dean, at his/her discretion, may convene an ad hoc committee to review the case to assist in the resolution of the complaint. Recommendations from the assistant or associate deans or ad hoc committee will be forwarded to the dean for consideration. All decisions by the dean concerning academic matters are final.

Conduct Issues

A student seeking to resolve any issue involving misconduct as provided for in the Sudent Code of Conduct and Discipline in the Student Handbook should follow procedures outlined in said code.

Other Issues

A student seeking to resolve any problem or complaint other than for misconduct as provided by the Student Code of Conduct and Discipline in the Student Handbook or an academic issue, will normally seek resolution through the appropriate office on campus designated to address the particular student concern. Examples include: issues involving matters of sexual harassment, discrimination, disability, employment or mistreatment fall under institutional policies which are handling by specific offices such as Human Resource Services or the Equal Employment Opportunity Office.

Enrollment Status During Grievance/Appeal

Any student dismissed from the school who has filed an official appeal of any decision will be permitted to remain in classes, clinical clerkship rotations, and/or internships during the period of appeal until or unless one or more of the following circumstances is determined by the dean to exist:

  1. The appeal has not been made according to officially recognized procedures for appealing a dismissal decision;
  2. The presence of the student in classes, clinical rotation, or internship constitutes a disruptive influence to the educational process or to patient care activities; or
  3. The presence of the student potentially presents a threat or harm to the health, safety or welfare of patients, students, or anyone associated with the educational process.


In the event a student's conduct or behavior is found to be in violation of a published policy or regulation, a summons may be issued. A summons is an official request that the student appear before an administrator. It is always important and must have the student's immediate attention. Failure to answer a summons may result in disciplinary action.


Students should receive a syllabus no later than the second class meeting of any course. Syllabi will not be distributed for courses in laboratory techniques, individual research, internship practicum, thesis, or dissertation. All other courses must provide students with syllabi that include the following information as appropriate to the course: required texts, examination dates, lecture topics and assignments for each class meeting, attendance policy, course objectives, explanation of how grades will be determined, and information on contacting the course director.

Temporary Visa Holders

Students holding temporary visas are responsible for maintaining status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). All visa restrictions and regulations regarding enrollment, employment and visa renewal must be followed exactly as determined by the USCIS.

Withdrawal from UNT Health Science Center

A student may withdraw from the Health Science Center at any time prior to the deadline published in the Academic Calendar by making a request in the Office of the Registrar. The student must complete the Withdrawal Clearance form. For withdrawals processed by the relevant deadline, the grade of W is recorded for each course in which a withdrawn student was enrolled. After this date a withdrawn student receives a grade of W only for those courses in which he/she was passing at the time of withdrawal; otherwise, the grade of WF is recorded. Official dates and deadlines for withdrawing are specified in each school's academic calendar.

Withdrawal for Active Military Service

If a student withdraws because of a call to active military service, the university, at the student's option, shall:

  1. Refund the tuition and fees paid by the student for the term in which the student withdraws;
  2. Grant a student, who is eligible, under the institution's guidelines, an incomplete grade in all courses by designating "withdrawn-military" on the student's transcript; or
  3. As determined by the instructor, assign an appropriate final grade or credit to a student who has satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of coursework and who has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material.

This page last modified May 6, 2010