Bid farewell to the OMCT
After nearly 50 years of caring for the Fort Worth Community, the OMCT closed its doors in October 2004. The Health Science Center purchased the OMCT and surrounding property in April 2005 and began a strategic Master Plan to use the property to expand the Center’s capabilities. The demolition of the OMCT is the first phase of the Master Plan.
On Wednesday, Feb. 27, the Health Science Center will hold a farewell ceremony for the former Osteopathic Medical Center of Texas (OMCT) building from 1-2 p.m. The entire campus – faculty, staff and students – is invited and encouraged to come honor the work done at the OMCT.
State Representative Charlie Geren, HSC President Scott Ransom and Dr. David Beyer, son of Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine founder Dr. D.D. “Danny” Beyer will address the group. Free bricks from the OMCT building will be available to attendees who would like a small reminder of the hospital’s contribution to the community.
A brief history of the OMCT
Founded in an old mansion on Summit Avenue, the Osteopathic Medical Center of Texas (OMCT) was first called Fisher Hospital after Dr. Roy Fisher, whose family lived on the second floor. The two-bed hospital soon grew to 12 beds. It was incorporated as Fort Worth Osteopathic Hospital in 1946 and was staffed by 13 physicians, including Drs. George Luibel, Carl Everett and D.D. “Danny” Beyer.
These same three physicians would establish the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) in 1966 during off-hours from their professional practices. The hospital moved to the 3600 block of Camp Bowie Boulevard in 1951, then to its current location in 1956. TCOM rented the fifth floor of the OMCT as the first classroom space for the college during its first year.