UNT Health Science Center Statement of Values
We will support our mission and vision by doing our work in a way that reflects our shared values. This will ensure we are proper stewards of time, resources and goodwill, carefully considering our actions and having the confidence that we are making values-based decisions.
Our values help us define:
- How we behave as we pursue success.
- How we treat each other within and outside the institution.
Our values help guide:
- The decisions we make – both large and small.
- Every action we take.
Our values are intrinsic to our operations and contribute to the wholeness of the institution. They represent the ideal work environment for which we are striving. By investing in initiatives that reflect our values, we further demonstrate that we honor these values and become stronger as an institution.
We treat everyone with Compassion
- We care about everyone we serve.
- We practice compassion as the grounding principle of health care.
- We consider how our actions affect our co-workers and the members of our community.
- We make decisions based on the well-being of the institution and its members.
We behave with Integrity
- We emphasize open and honest dealings among all people within and outside our institution.
- We hold integrity to be the foundation of trust and respect.
- We honor our commitments.
- We commit to integrity as essential to the pursuit of new knowledge, scientific research and the delivery of education and health care services.
- We support academic freedom as essential to the integrity of teaching and research.
- We follow the best practices related to the professional standards of our given profession.
We take responsibility for Excellence
- We constantly strive to do our jobs with the highest quality possible – whether recognized or not.
- We understand that excellence is an elusive goal that is never mastered, and this continually encourages us to improve our performance.
- We always strive to deliver more than expected by our customers and students.
- While striving for excellence, we see our mistakes as opportunities to learn and improve.
- We believe excellence requires a diverse student body, workforce and viewpoints to foster understanding and respect among all people.
- We make it a point to be aware of and to utilize the talents of others.
We encourage Innovation
- We are dynamic in generating creative solutions to challenges.
- We strive to create a safe environment for reasonable risk taking.
- We encourage new ideas and continually improve our processes.
- We are innovative leaders in education, health care and research.
We accomplish our goals through Teamwork
- We work together and individually to achieve goals to benefit a single community united in supporting the Health Science Center’s mission, vision and values.
- We build teams to include diverse and multiple points of view.
- We treat all team members as equals.
- We collaborate freely and provide exceptional customer service to our teammates, whether they are members of our own functional team or members of the broader UNT Health Science Center community.
- We partner with community interests to promote quality of life.
We take Pride in our work
- We generate pride by doing exceptional work that promotes our mission and vision.
- We do meaningful work that promotes improved quality of life.
- We always strive to be worthy of praise.
- We share positive stories about our work with each other and those in our communities.
- We express appreciation for a job well done.
- We celebrate our successes.
Values Task Force
- Diane Bradley, SPH
- Pat Baker, GSBS
- Craig Elam, Library
- Carol Knisley, ORC
- Cynthia Lee, TCOM
- Terry Morgan, Facilities
- Susan Ross, Finance & Administration
- Jim Sims, Safety Office
- Trisha Van Duser, Student Affairs
- Michelle West, Advancement
- Jackie Williams, HIT
- Patrice Williams, Legal
- Ad hoc: Roy Martin
PDF Version of this document
This page last updated Apr 20, 2011